How To Test Your Soil:
Each test and capsule is color-coded: Green = pH, Purple = Nitrogen, Blue =
Phosphorus, Orange = Potash, with a separate color bar to compare your results.
pH Test Only:
Take a soil sample from about 4" below the surface.
1. Remove cap from one of the the green capped tubes. Remove the green capsules.
2. Fill tube with soil to the first line.
3. Carefully open a green capsule and pour powder into the tube.
4. Add water (preferably distilled) to the fourth line.
5. Cap tube and shake thoroughly.
6. Allow soil to settle and color to develop for about a minute.
7. Compare color of solution to the pH color chart. Repeat for remaining capsules.
N, P, & K Tests:
Take a soil sample from about 4" below the surface. Fill a clean jar or can with 1 part
soil and 5 parts water. Thoroughly shake or stir the soil and water together for at least
one minute and then allow the mixture to settle out for at least 10 minutes.
1. Remove the cap from the tube. Remove colored capsules. (Please note that the
color of the capsules should match the color of the tube cap.) Fill the tube to the
fourth line with liquid from your soil mixture. Avoid disturbing the sediment.
2. Carefully separate the two halves of one of the capsules previously removed from
the tube. Pour the powder into the tube.
3. Cap the tube and shake thoroughly. Allow color to develop for about 10 minutes.
4. Compare color of solution to the appropriate portion of the plant food color chart.
(For best results allow daylight, not direct sunlight, to illuminate the solution.)
Note your results. Repeat for remaining capsules.
Recommendations for pH Tests:
Acidity/alkalinity controls the plant foods available in the soil and can be adjusted to
provide more suitable growing conditions for the different plants you wish to grow.
Altering pH does take time, so do not expect an immediate change. After adding lime
or sulfate to your soil, retest for pH level in 40-60 days. If results are still significantly
off, re-treat your soil, not exceeding recommended application levels.
SAFETY The test materials are safe when used as directed. However, keep out of
reach of children & pets. Avoid contact with skin & eyes. In case of contact with eyes,
rinse immediately with plenty of water. If swallowed, drink large amounts of water.
Keep away from food, water and animal feed. When using, do not eat, drink or
smoke. Wash hands immediately after use. Store unused capsule in test tubes after
they are completely dry, in cool, dry location.